Thursday, November 13, 2008

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 D


Description: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D
Cost: less than $300 brand new

DSLRs are heavy to begin with, and having heavy lenses make it worse! While I love our 17-55mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens, sometimes it's just way too cumbersome to schlep around. We recently picked up the 50mm and I'd have to say that it's a very useful lens to have.

I love taking pictures in low light but hate using flash. This camera does wonders in capturing high quality images in low light situations b/c it's so freaking fast. Here are some examples of pictures taken with this lens. Also if you love playing around with bokeh, you'll find it so much easier with the 50mm. Also, it's great for portrait photography. And the best part?? My arm doesn't feel like it's falling off when I've been snapping away shot after shot.

I'd recommend browsing photography forums and boards such as Fred Miranda for good deals. We didn't find it necessary to buy brand new, so a wedding photographer looking to unload it gave us a good deal- the lens was practically brand new! Hint- my bf pretended he was a poor (cheap) college student and bargained down to $260. :)

No comments: